Carol Carter

13 January 2009

new swamp watercolor

here's about two day's worth of painting.... i LOVE the swamp! especially in the winter... when it's REAL cold outside my studio. i imagine all the warmth and humidity.. and pungent smells of heat and moisture.

so.. here's to the swamp!

on a side note... i found an old tube of WINSOR NEWTON Indigo [before 2000] and tried it in the background water. it is exactly the right binder that i'm looking for! now.. i have to find a suitable brand to replace W/N.

i wish i could document and visualize the nuances and changes that are frustrating me -- and convince W/N technicians to return to their old formulation!

anyway, here's to watercolor!


Swamp
watercolor
15" h x 60" w
2009 unfinished
Posted by Picasa

5 comments:

RH Carpenter said...

Loving the delicious, dark passages throughout this one.

John Salmon said...

W and N Indigo eh! I had real trouble with their Raw Sienna. It was so frothy I could have washed my hair in it (if I had any). I agree I wish their technicians and chemists would stop fiddling with the tried and tested recipes.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I found you through Myrna Wacknov's blog. I enjoy your luscious watercolor!

Sandy Maudlin said...

This is realy realy looking great. Love the yummy changes in value and the textures.

Carol Carter said...

rhonda--

yes.. the indigo is working like it's supposed to! i wish W/N didn't change their formulation.
happy day to you!


John,

Do you think you would write to them [WN] and complain? i have already-- but they don't agree with me. ;-(( i'm thinking that maybe if enough watercolorists say something -- they'll consider changing their course.!
let me know -- and i'll email you names/addresses in London. best happy day~~
Thanks!

Peggy--
so glad you found the blog! I'm guessing you're a watercolorist? i will look for your work later today. Thank you for liking my work! warms me. Come back again! happy day.

Hey Sandy~
thanks for the comment. yes, i agree, the rich values and textures are what W/N is capable of doing -- but its what they don't do anymore! gotta find new pigments [still].... how are you? things? teaching? art? life? grandkids?? are you staying WARM??? happy day to you as well.

everyone!! thanks for writing!